Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chapters 16-18

Chapter 16 - Katniss's silent message to Darius; Haymitch asks them to make friends during their training; She meets Wiress and Beetee and gets information about their uprising; she gets information about force fields and their weakness; She also meets Mags, and inadvertedly shows off her shooting skills; Private training sessions and scores.
"...maybe Haymitch is right...Don't  tell him I said so, but he usually is, where the Games are concerned." p 230
Chapter 17 - Peeta and Katniss both get 12s for their private session; Peeta and Katniss get to spend an entire day together, trying to relax and enjoy each other; Prep for the interviews; the fact that Snow is making Kat wear her horrid bridal gown; the interviews begin; Katniss is turned into a Mockingjay.
Chapter 18 - Cinna takes a bow for his design; Peeta's interview; Kat's false pregnancy (why is kat empowered??); the Victors joining hands in a sign of  unity; Cinna's punishment; the next arean is revealed

As far as the private training sessions go, I am curious how Peeta knew how Rue looked covered in flowers. I thought that the Capitol cut that part out during the recap. Can either of you girls set me straight? I suppose that even if they did, there is no reason that Katniss couldn't have told him about it afterward (again... I might be forgetting that they actually did talk about it).

"If I can make it clear that I'm still defying the Capitol right up to the end, the Capitol will have killed me...but not my spirit. What better way to give hope to the rebels?" p 243

When the two of them are spending their day together and their nights sleeping in the same bed, I can't help but think maybe Katniss really does have some kind of real attraction to him? Or at least she lets her guard down enough to be comforted by Peeta, protected by his presence.

Can I just say that as vapid as Kat's prep team is, I kind of love them a little bit. Especially Venia who keeps everyone on track the last time that they prep her. I love what she says to Kat at the end... "We would all like you to know what a...privilege it has been to make you look your best."

I am curious about the reasons that people are staring Kat down with daggers in their eyes. I was trying to figure out: jealousy over the dress, anger that the President put her in it? Johanna has been so abrasive, but I love the moment that they have before the interviews. It's a touching moment. I can almost hear the pity and anger in her voice. It's a kind and affectionate gesture to fix her necklace and say "Make him pay for it, okay?" At least, that is how I interpretted it. How did you girls hear it? Touching moment between those two or anger at President Snow? The whole relationship between the victors has me emotionally confused. I want for them to work together...have campfires and sign Kumbahya or something. But I also know that they are all vicious on the inside. At least as far as the Games are concerned. Gosh- Even Peeta confuses me sometimes.

I am going to skip right to Kat's interview, even though I think that what the other Victors said before her is equally important. As soon as Katniss turned into the Mockingjay, my stomach dropped straight to my feet. Especially when Ceasar pointed him out and asked him to take a bow. The double meaning behind that: pointing out his accomplishment that is really one of the most visible signs of the rebellion everywhere but the Capitol. Pointing him out for recognition by the audience who loves him...and out to the Peacekeepers and other gov't people who are probably already planning how to kill him. All I could think of was "Cinna: what have you done??"... I don't want another character I love to be punished. But I also think I wouldn't love him as much if he didn't stand up for the rebellion and what is right: fighting for equality. This act is right in line with the rest of his character development.

It is amazing how clueless the Capitol citizens. (then again...aren't I clueless about half of the injustice even in our own country?) They were probably just falling off their seats with excitment...trying to figure out how they can get the feathered look in their everyday fashion.

"We victors staged our own uprising, and maybe, just maybe, the Capitol won't be able to contain this one." p 259 YES! I hope it continues and follows through to the games...

And lastly ending with the end of Part II...Cinna's punishment is also Katniss's punishment. And the arean is water.

1 comment:

  1. Am I the only person APPALLED by President Snow choosing for Kat to wear her wedding gown?! Ok, I eloped and got married in a Ron Jon surf style summer dress, so I cannot proclaim the love I may have for an actual bridal dress, but how horrific! I HATE him.

    I do, however, love the author for her foreshadowing abilities. I mean, turning Kat into a Mockingjay? That is beyond clever as the final book is entitled that exact word. I love her way of enticing me.

    At the end of Part II, how dreadful, the fear of Cinna's life. You just know the powerful will not emancipate him. :*( But you are right. He was fighting for equality and it was such a beautiful risk. It proves that he would stay true to Kat until the end. Such a powerful promise.

    I'm certain that people were looking at her with daggers because they have been entertained by this love story for so long: innocent girl and brave boy. Together forever type fairy tail. Come on? We are all suckers for it. Take Hollywood, for example. So many people in our society today are totally convinced that they will find a love scenario based upon the 80's-90's romantic comedies. Get real. We are all married and I'm sorry, but no one dragged me from a ballroom, pulled me onto a stage and sang, "I've had the time of my life." (Ok, so I've admitted my favorite movie of all time, don't judge me ;) ). I think the harsh looks are most likely looks of pity for her, especially with Peeta portraying her pregnancy. That another level entirely.

    ReplyDelete