Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mockingjay, Chapters 1-3

Part I - The Ashes

Chapter 1 - Katniss is back in District 12; Gale saved as many citizens as he could, and they now live as refugees at District 13 (it does exist!); the rebels want Katniss to be their Mockingjay, but she hasn't decided  yet; she retrieves Buttercup from their home in Victors Circle... and discovers a rose left just for her
Chapter 2 - More details about District 13 (the history, the rules, the lifestyle); Haymitch is sobering up (finally); Peeta's (OMG) interview; Katniss and Gale seem to finally be back on the same page-he runs after her to find her while getting his comunicuff confiscated; Katniss decides to be the Mockingjay
Chapter 3 - At Prim's suggestion, Katniss comes up with demands; she gets Cinna's sketchbook (I can't wiat to see what Beetee has got for her...but now I'm wondering what will change after the next plot point which is... going down to level 39 and finding what is behind door 3908

Confession: I was a little bored in the first two chapters. I think that is only because I know that there is so much action yet to come. On the other hand, I know that the author needs to lay the groundwork for the rest of the book.

I feel Kat's pain; the poor 17-year old girl. She has so much guilt within her. She has seen so much death and violence. She has been threatened (threats to her family, all the people she loves, and herself) and been through two completely traumatizing games. Not to mention that she didn't get to save Peeta, and that she now discovers she has been part of a plan that was even bigger than she imagined. Talking about having the weight of the world on your shoulder. I am almost surprised she has't suffered a complete mental breakdown

As far as District 13... I'm a little uneasy about them. Their strict schedule reminds me a little bit of the movie "The Island" (have you girls seen it? You should...Ewan McGreggor. What a beautiful specimen of man. ;)). Everyone wears the same clothes, has a relatively strict diet, follows a schedule, and basically doesn't ask questions. Like Katniss says at one point: they are almost as controlling as the Capitol.

Peeta's interview...now that seems a little hairy. Katniss seems to think that because he looks whole, everything is alright and that they never tortured him or anything. I don't know if I buy that. After all...they repaired her blown-out ear, gave Peeta a prosthetic leg, and can pretty much do anything they want to appearances. I hope that Peeta hasn't been tortured. That he is actually got some amount of control. The more likely scenario is that he is being used by the Capitol and President Snow. Gale seems to think that he struck a deal with the Capitol...Maybe they said if he co-operated that they would not harm Katniss? But it makes me wonder who is the one with all the power. It must be the Capitol. So even if Peeta did make a deal, he isn't the one in control and he is not exactly safe...could be getting used just one more time. Once again...lots of suspicion and too many questions that don't have answers.

This quote from Peeta I loved: "To murder innocent people?" says Peeta. "It costs you everything you are." It is so true, and a total double entendre against the Capitol...who has been murdering innocent children for decades. I also like how ferociously he defended himself and Katniss. It is like some totally new Peeta has been released. He is (almost) openly criticizing the Capitol. And he called for a cease-fire...what do you ladies make of all that??

A few other quick notes: I love Kat's demands (hunting with Gale- finally!). And especially the play between her and Coin over "I Kill Snow." Cinna's sketchbook and note to Katniss brought tears to my eyes. It meant so much to me. And I may have gone through phases with Gale, Peeta, and Finnick...but it is really Cinna who absolutely has stolen my heart.

And what is behind door 3908. First I have to say that I love the way Katniss and Gale are connected. Perfectly executed distraction without having to even say a word. Absolutely perfect. But when I got to the last three words of the chapter "My prep team." My heart stopped. I wanted to go on to the next page. I stopped though (self-restraint...I has it). What does it mean? Clearly District 13 is as ruthless and has as many secrets as the Capitol. Gosh- they never did anything wrong besides live their lives. Why are they there? Did D13 punish them? Torture them? Must have...Why did Heavensbee take her there??? Fluvia was excited to bring Katniss down there for her surprise. They clearly must have thought her team would be alive and well...not shackled to the wall!!!

3 comments:

  1. SO happy you confessed, because I was downright bored and yawning in the first section! I don't like District 13 (first impression). I think they are nearly more controlling than the Capitol! I had formulated the idea in my mind that when people escaped, they ran off into this beautiful sunset, discovered new land and freedom -- maybe that's the dreamer in me visualizing that? But I never expected this! Living underground, having a specific schedule tattooed daily, only eating a portion deemed for your body type... I just don't know yet.

    I am pleased to see that Peeta is alive and "looking" well. Who knows what is really going on with him? :/ But at least Kat may be able to rid the bloody, terrible images she kept seeing.

    I think Kat's demands were definitely the turn around for me here. I started becoming a bit more intrigued at the thought of her having more control and had to whisper a great "Thank You" to Prim for sitting up with her while she couldn't sleep. I suppose her words of advice were convincing enough for Kat ;)

    I'm dying to start the next section because reading the words "my prep team" took about all the restraint a woman could possibly have!!!!!!! lol. My heart dropped and I had to quickly SLAM the book shut to avoid revealing any further details :) However, I am completely appalled at District 13 (second impression) as it seems they, too, have dirty secrets hidden from the general public. Ughh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, finally gett caught up with y'all. I was a little bored to start with, after coming off all the action in the last book, now it's a lot of the dry, "getting to know you" stuff for District 13. We'll plow through. : )

    Peeta's interview made me sick. I don't trust Snow, I feel awful that Peeta was captured, and I still feel shaky and tearful about Cinna. Still.

    That cat is growing on me. A little, grumpy, hissing piece of the life they left behind.

    I'm weary and worried about District 13. I have a bad feeling in my stomach, they're not right somehow. (Don't hold me to that)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I've grown to have a soft spot for the grumpy cat, too! You're right, it is a little piece of 12 that still exist, not just for them, but for me as well. Plus... I just love that Prim got to have him back <3

    ReplyDelete