Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chapters 10-12

boy- I really got ahead of myself! Sorry girls. Mandy was right about not being able to stop at chapter 12. I hit 12 and just kept going... until 17. >_< But I am stopped there. I was only 2 pages in.

So now going ALLLLLL the way back to 10.... our recap

Chapter 10 - the aftermath of Peeta's love confession; the games don't start til 10 because of the Capitol residents (wonder about the families); Peeta on the roof; Kat's pin
Chapter 11 - Let the games begin! The Cornucopia, (SO MAD about Kat's bow and arrow-kind of angery at her for losing focus); as hard as she tries to dislike Peeta, she obviously has some strong connection to him because she is constantly worried about him the first day. It is OK to work together after all (and let's talk about that SHOCK at the end of the chapter!!)
Chapter 12 - Katniss's burning rage (which I think is misguided-see more below); the way she is always aware and thinking about "are the cameras on me? How do I play this up? How to I get sponsors?"...and of course the cliffhanger that I had to read past: wall of fire (absolutely terrifying. Probably my worst fear next to drowning)

Once again, there is so much to talk about! Chapters 9 and 10 I think really highlight Kat's loss of herself. Really the end of 9 in her interview. She twirls in the dress, she sparkles, she giggles (which she has never done before). Totally not herself. Right after her interview, I thought she had done very well. Conquered her fear of the interview. THEN Peeta's confession and the aftermath really put it into perspective. She really did need that boost from his love confession. Although, in a way I think that her being pretty shallow in her interview may end up being an advantage as well. Not in the way of sponsors, but in the way of the other Tributes. They all just think she's flashy and an attention getter. That she doesn't have much value. Peeta gave her value (as far as sponsorship) by making her (them) interesting.

That is the first part of Kat losing herself in this piece. And then her run in with Peeta on the roof-she is worried about how to survive. Peeta, as she says, is worried about how to maintain his identity. How to maintain his sense of self. I really liked this quote: ""No, when the time comes, I’m sure I’ll kill just like everybody else. I can’t go down without a fight. Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to…to show the Capitol they don’t own me. That I’m more than just a piece in their Games,” says Peeta." (p. 142).

This is the first time that I think he is being 100% honest. I don't think he is attempting to be superior or act superior to Katniss. That seems like her just taking offense. It makes me wonder exactly how he is going to show his rebellion. Earlier I had written that I didn't know if Peeta could handle Kat. But I think that he has a much stronger will than I've given him credit for. I have seen him as weak, just like his mother. He is so focused, though. He was on learning skills. And he has a constant streak for rebellion (or love!), at least when it comes to Kat. This statement from him really shouldn't come as a surprise. It makes me wonder exactly what his strategy will be.

The last part that I felt like Kat was losing her self was the scene when she is getting ready for the games. When Cinna is first giving Katniss her clothes, I wondered where her pin was. The one that he gives to her later. I thought that she had just completely forgotten about it (maybe as a symbol of her starting to lose her identity/ lose herself in Capitol?). It made sense that they had to take the pin and deem if it was acceptable for the games. (I suppose for a game with no rules, at least one rule is you can't start off with a weapon from the outside...only what they supply in the arena).


Moving on to more about Peeta... I am certainly confused about his motives. In his interview, I believed him. Especially after he always seemed to be so kind to Katniss (bread, through the first part of training etc). Did Peeta give her something to eat out of pity because he saw her starving? Or because even then he had a crush on her? Then this part where he had joined up with the Careers:

Someone cries out, “twelve down and eleven to go!” which gets a round of appreciative hoots. (p. 159); my first thought when I read that was: of course! The careers are going to get together and try to get rid of the "easy" ones. It's just like we've been talking about the whole time. Band together. The difference is that we want it to be Peeta and Katniss at the end. And then both refuse to kill. Here the motivation is get to the end; the individual game is easier when there are fewer people around. As far as Peeta... my heart stopped beating when I read that last line. What did you girls think??


Personally, I understand Kat's rage, but I think it is really misplaced. I think that he did shake his head at her to not go for the cornucopia (but boy am I glad she did....I want a sleeping bag like that!). This is the note that I put when she was raging against Peeta at the beginning of chapter 12: "bc he is strong he went in fighting. maybe got her bow? maybe manipulating the careers?"

She even knows that being super strong is his strength. We didn't get to see him in the Cornucopia, but you have to imagine he impressed the Careers with his strength someone. How else would he be alive? It's not like they exactly give you time to please your case or show much mercy. It takes some balls to go into a death brawl like that swinging. I have totally underestimated Peeta. (Those I still have a school girl crush on the woodsy Gale)



Last but not least... As sick as it is... I am almost enjoying the way that Capitol is presenting the events. It is exciting. It's exciting to read about. Wondering if your favorites (the only ones I know are Katniss, Peeta, and Rue) are still alive. The suspense for Kat when the cannons go off, when the names of the dead flash at night. I also like the way the different parts of the game are revealed to us through Katniss. I like the fact that she pretty much knows everything that is going on. The general flow to the games. That she has years of experience that she flashes back to. Things that she remembers past Tributes doing.

Nat: I want to hear all about your plans for survival!

10 comments:

  1. Ok, I am bursting with the beginning of these games! I can see how the Capitol residents get sucked in, and how you could possibly forget that someone's life is depending on the outcome of this event. It's very easy to be caught up in the excitement and forget that the people you're watching, rooting for or against, even betting on, are real people, not just entertainers. (Of course, this is not really happening here for us, so we're allowed to be excited. haha)

    I can understand why Haymitch advised Kat away from the Cornucopia, even though I would say that any and all advice given by someone not immediately participating in the game should be taken seriously, but not as gospel. I am glad she followed her instincts toward the backpack, but am disappointed that she's without a bow and arrow. And maybe I'm a gigantic sucker, but I really feel like Peeta is protecting her. She's fast and can hunt, but against the careers, I wouldn't bet on her in a fistfight... Best to grab what's close and get out of Dodge.

    I'm wracking my brain over what the whole story behind that pin is going to be. Didn't y'all have the impression when it was given that it would be incredibly important to the story? How could she have forgotten it?!

    I'm impressed with Katniss for keeping the cameras in mind. She's got to stay strong and sharp, keep up any facade of calm she can, because being turned loose in those woods alone, she's going to need sponsors eventually. I think keeping her mind on the audience is clever of her, it may be the difference between winning and losing, depending on how much influence sponsors can actually be to a tribute in need of supplies!

    And I agree with you, Sarah, Kat is losing sight of who she is, what her strengths are, trying so hard to fit in with the audience's expectations of a Tribute. As great a hunter as she is, you'd think she'd be a better judge of behaviour, of motives. But she acts like she's completely unable to read people. I believe Peeta loves her. Her paranoia is coming from her inability to believe that anyone can be trusted. While I can understand that, given the game they're playing, Peeta has been trying to be friendly, to help her, and she's rebuffed him over and over.

    I think he's with the careers as part of his strategy, not out of loyalty. Peeta's a baker, not a fighter. I don't think he actually expects to ride out the game with them.

    And I can't wait to find out how he sticks it to the capitol. After the speech he gave on the roof, I've got no doubt that he will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you guys! Like I said in one of the previous posts, the interest and anticipation during the Games is enticing. Whether it's because we favor Kat, Peeta and Rue (I love that you included her!) or just the barbaric aspect that is unlike anything we know, it is a sport. It is embedded in our DNA to be competitive and at this point, it's kill or be killed; fight to the death.

    I am convinced that Peeta is teaming up with the Careers to eventually turn on them. He's trying to help take as many out as possible, before destroying them. He knows Kat can handle her own, he's mentioned her strengths numerous times. I predict the head shaking at the beginning of the Games a possible foreshadowing for this theory (watch me be totally wrong!!)

    And who could stop at the end of Chapter 12?! "And it would be hard to miss the wall of fire descending on me." I LITERALLY gasped and flipped the page involuntarily. I know we agreed, 3 chapters per night, but I refused to allow the author to win that battle and leave me hanging!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, haha! When the games got started, I was full of ideas how I would win. I actually sat Nick down and read him the beginning, asking him for ideas!! (I'm a dork, I know!)

    I don't climb trees as well as Katniss does, but I'm a darn good shot (with a gun, not a bow and arrow), and can set pretty basic traps (I've done some hunting with Daddy, but hated it. Once I learned to set snares, I got my hide tanned on a regular basis, setting them for my little siblings!!) Nick and I decided that I could probably take out the girls and the scrawnier boys that travelled alone if I hid in a tree and dropped down on them. We had a great time, actually, each of us planning our strategies, making promises (if we ever get thrown into a barbaric game to the death, I've pinkie promised Nick that I'll team up with him, and only kill him as a very last resort. Haha!), and guessing what traps we could and couldn't get out of.

    Are your husbands getting into it all? Are y'all having fun, too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I think we all stuck it to the author on Chapter 12. Hahaha! When Sarah texted me, I thought I'd been busted sneaking ahead a chapter! I'm glad I wasn't the only one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I giggled when Kat peeked out of the willow, knowingly smiled for the camera and escaped. I think she's smart trying to obtain sponsors. Let's get real, I'd do anything to get a bottle of water if I was participating in brutal Games, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahaha! I had text Sarah earlier saying I couldn't stop and to text me when she got to that point and couldn't stop! :P

    I love that you guys have a plan of attack. I can't say I'd be too much good in killing people, but if the rage called for it, I'd find a way. I'm extremely competitive and I'm very good at knowing what plants to eat and which to not. I learned that just growing up in the country. I haven't shot a bow and arrow in years, but maybe it comes back as riding a bike does? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are y'all getting the urge to get together and practice our survival skills? Hahha. I wonder if Nick'd take me innocently camping... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I just read the original post here again, and "I have totally underestimated Peeta" jumped out at me. I have been feeling the same way. I had originally assumed he'd be kind, even protective, but I hadn't given him much credit as a real competitor. I've been so caught up in Kat's skills, her chances, that Peeta's own abilities hadn't really made an impact on me. BUT, seeing as he's obviously hoodwinked the Careers into somewhat trusting him, he won over the audience at his interview, he charmed Haymitch and Effie into liking and believing in him, one skill I'd never considered was Peeta's ability to sell himself, to read people, and to ingratiate himself. I'm actually really impressed with his use of this skill right from the get-go. It beings up questions again of his sincerity, but you've got to admit, it's serving him well! Whatever angle he's working, he's giving it all he's got. And he's still alive, so it seems to be working for him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With the pin and with Rue- that's why I brought them up! I feel like they must be important. The author gave special attention to each of them. The two early scenes with the Mockingjay pin, specifically pointing out and naming Rue. Comparing her to Prim. They had to be important! (what can I say, Harry Potter taught me a lot about foreshadowing).

    I loved this, Nat: "Her paranoia is coming from her inability to believe that anyone can be trusted." that is so true. Even in her village. She didn't trust Gale right away either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. My comment went all wonky. I had to post it before I was really done. I think it will be to Peetas advantage to be working "in" the Careers. It will give him a chance to get to know them better and know their weaknesses. Like you pointed out, he is really good at reading people. They clearly underestimate him. I picture them kind of like goons. Possibly good at being mentally tough, definitely good at physical strength and skill. Bt as far as brains? I'm not really seeing it.

    Survival skills? For myself? You must be joking. I would be curled up in the fetal position, rocking back and forth. And Brad? really? Lol! As soon as it gets to be 75 degrees outside, he wants the air on. When it gets to 60s, he wants the heat. We have to close the car windows 100% in the summer so that the bugs don't get in. Yea. We would be the ones getting knifed in the back ten seconds in. ;)

    ReplyDelete