Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chapters 16-18

(MASSIVE edits because this post got all messed up) Every three chapters gets more and more intense.

16 - more of Rue and Katniss's teaming up, the importance of Kat's Mockingjay pin, the mined stock pile of the Careers, who Peeta is no longer with
17 - KABLEWY! Good bye stockpile, good-bye hearing and balance; the Mockingjay sings to Kat's good ear.
18 - (the big chapter) sweet Rue <3, Kat's care for her, Kat's first kill, and the gift from District 11; the first (second?) rule of the game

Now when I first got Mandy's text about the end of chapter 18, I got to speculating. Were kat and Peeta sharing a fiery, passionate kiss? Inspired by a really true confession of love and the desperation of the past few days? Then after Rue died <3 I wondered if maybe it had been revealed that Peeta set the net that caught Rue. And Kat killed him.

But the addition of a rule? That really threw me for a loop. What an awesome twist!! Are there any pairs left? I think one of the career pairs might still be left. I am hoping that one of you girls can straighten me out. Oh, I hope that Peeta and Kat find each other and win together, take out the other tributes. Pick them off one by one. Another thought occurs to me: even if a pair of Career tributes were the last two standing, I feel like they would still try to kill each other and be the only one on top.

How much do you think the influential people (sponsors) have been wanting this? There must have been a lot of pressure for a rule change. But... At the same time it puts a HUGE target on Kat and Peeta. I just thought of that now. Everyone left knows that two are stronger than one. Will they try to pick them off before they get together? How is Peeta doing? Is he too weak from blood loss to fight? Oh oh oh!!! What if some sponsors sent him gifts to stop the bleed and get him strong again? As Kat said... "Let the seventy-fourth Hunger Games begin, Cato, I think. Let them begin for real."

Next topic I think is just so huge. Rue's death. It is so cruel. Kat loved her even though they only knew each other a few days. She genuinely cared for her. I think that their bond, a real bond formed out of mutual respect and trust, is possibly one of the biggest rebellions yet. With Kat singing Rue to forever sleep with a lullaby from District 12. Caring for her even after death. The three finger salute. I was emotional the whole time during those scenes. How strong Kat was to have to deal with that; even though she was struggling afterward, her strength is immense. And I also wanted to say: what a show of solidarity between her and district 11. How amazing that they sent her Rue's loaf. This quote I highlighted from this chapter "rue's death has forced me to confront my own fury against the cruelty, the injustice they inflict on us"

And lastly... Another thought just occurred to me. I am beginning to be suspicious about everything in the game. It is easy to take at face value the loaf of bread as a gift from District 11... But what if it is Haymitch/Gamemakers manipulating the game? On the other hand, you wouldn't think that they would manipulate it in such a way that creates a further bond between two districts, ya know? Did I ever mention that I sometimes overanalyze things? ;) Can't wait to hear from you ladies!

6 comments:

  1. There was one other pair left, maybe from District 2 (I could be completely wrong).

    I think Rue's entire purpose in the Games, was to inspire and influence her to compete on Prim's behalf. The similarities constantly reminded her of her family and how fighting and winning would benefit them. As much as I originally thought I would dread her death, I actually didn't find it as painful. I hated it, sure, but I truly saw it as a beautiful moment in which Kat could wholly engage her emotions and liberate herself, which she did by singing the lullaby and adorning her with flowers.

    I would die if Haymitch was being manipulative toward Kat, having an influence on the outcome of the Games. I hadn't really considered that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really really sorry about last night. I don't know what came over me, but I felt so sick and so shaky, wasn't any way I could sit here and concentrate. I could barely sit up in my chair!

    But I'm better now. And I've not read any farther, so I'll have some catching up to do just as soon as Nick gets home and can take over baby duty (Aary's going through a "don't hold me, but don't put me down, either" mood today...)

    I'm with you, Sarah, on feeling suspicious of everyone and everything connected to the games. After the fire, I worry that every little thing is to be mistrusted.

    Reading about the destruction of the Careers' supply stash was great, but it really made Foxface out to be a serious competitor!! For her to have learned and memorized the placement of the landmines..Whoa! I was impressed! We need to watch her.

    And again, I was all warm and fuzzy about Katniss teaming up with Rue. When she hollered out from that net, Jesus, I was crushed. Poor girl, her family must be aching for her. But that bread sent from District 11 definitely showed us a bit of humanity, maybe not ALL of Panem is suckered in by the excitement the way we are. ; ) haha. It also got me to thinking again about revolution. I'll bet everything I've got that the Capitol isn't happy that Rue's death momentarily united people from different districts, instead of locking them in competition the way they want. Dressing her with flowers... beautiful. ♥

    The rule change not only puts a target on Kat and Peeta, but it ramps up the pressure for anyone who is still part of an intact pair. Now that it'd be possible for BOTH of you to go home, you better darn well work as a team if you ever want to show your face back home again! Going it alone isn't an option anymore.

    Anybody else fantasizing about kicking Cato's butt? Because I sure was.

    And yes, Mandy, you're spot on, I think. Rue gave Katniss back her emotions, her feelings, her sense of self in this rotten game. (Totally grabbed Nick to read your response. He thought it was tear-jerking of the author to kill Rue. I told him it was so we could see Katniss coming back to herself. "See, Mandy thinks like me, Nyah!" Haha. I'm so mature.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Great minds think alike darling! ;)

    I guess I always knew she would die, regardless of whether I wanted her to or not. Since there could only be "one" winner (originally).

    I'm sold on Katniss winning - now Peeta, too, so although I adored Rue and her sweet, innocent persona, I couldn't let go of the thought that Kat defeated all the Careers, held her little sister again, engaged in hunting (or more?! ;) ) with Gale and certainly seeing her mother again... Rue would have prevented all of that so I accepted from the beginning that her run was temporary.

    I despise Cato... I'm ready for the chopper to snatch his body with a quickness, to see the sky light up in his honor. I am, however, concerned a little about Foxface. It seems her character has been a bit underplayed and I am thinking she is going to surprise us any second...

    I haven't read any further either (and neither has Sarah!). I was incredibly swamped today. This is the first chance I've had to sit down and even take a deep breath. I'm hoping to get some reading in tonight, but not sure yet. I'm definitely looking forward to the next session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we all must have expected Rue would die. I wasn't prepared for quite how it happened, though. Trapping her that way... Unnecessarily cruel.

    I wasn't sure how I'd feel reading about Katniss killing the other Tributes. We knew it'd have to happen for her to win, but I'll admit that I had kind of gotten used to the idea of her hiding until everyone else had killed each other off. Even dropping that tracker jacker nest on them didn't feel as "hands on" as shooting this boy. But I was glad in my stomach when she did it. I was so angry for Rue, I wanted him shot.

    Foxface worries me.

    So does Peeta. Please be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy, I think that you are right as well about the purpose that Rue's death served. I got about as attached to her as Katniss did. She ended up defending Rue like she did with Prim. Rue played a major role in Katniss moving into the offensive position. First Rue pointed out the Tracker Jacker nest. Next their alliance gave Katniss the strength and confidence to go on a hunt to destroy the Careers stock of goods. Finally, Rue's death gave Katniss the motivation to take down her first 'real' kill. In this case, it wasn't survival strategy, but the killer instinct that comes from avenging the death of someone she cared for.

    Foxface. She just worries me because we haven't seen much of her. She is clearly observant, sly, and good at keeping from hidden from the Careers. When Rue and Kat were ticking off the remaining tributes, they forgot about her. It's not a good sign when you forget who your competitors are. Does it mean you are underestimating them?

    As far as Peeta goes, I am a little worried about him,but his cannon hasn't gone off yet so he can't be that bad. Pus I keep thinking that
    <>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! PLUS I keep thinking that if Kat was sent the cream for her burn, Haymitch must have sent Peeta something. Although I guess you do have a valid concern for him, Natalie. It's been a number of days since the tracker Jacker and attack from Cato. If he was hallucinating, plus losing blood... It could be bad news.

    ReplyDelete