Saturday, January 7, 2012

Part III - the enemy

In an effort to just get to the end so we can all start the third book, I am speeding this up and writing a quick entry about the third section.

With all the action, story, adventure, and excitement that has happened so far, it is hard to believe that this third section added just as much to the story. I loved the arena. It really was perfect. Here I thought that just the image of the disappearing Mockingjay on the head Gamemakers watch was foreshadowing. Turns out the whole watch itself and what he says about the start time of the meeting were the clues. I love that everything in this arena seems so structured. It gives the ... intuitive ones an advantage. Who knows how long it would have taken the rest of the Tribute Victors to figure out that all of the game's horrors came at the same time every twelve hours. As sad as I am to say it...it takes me a while to pick up things like that in my own life. ;)

I also want to say that I am a little bit in love with Finnick. He seems like he is actually a good guy. The more I get to know all the Victors, the more I want them all to live (well... maybe I could do without the Careers. :-P)

Right now, the thing that spurred me on to write the entry was Peeta and Katniss having their discussion on the beach. The one where Peeta "gives Katniss everything", as she says. It was a heartbreakingly beautiful moment. He loves her so much; he wants her to continue living without him. Get back to her family and to Gale. <3 To say: here,  survive. Live and love your family without guilt...it is what I want for you. Not many people (men or otherwise) are that good.

Of course, knowing all the trauma that the game give the contestants, I can't foresee Katniss having a very easy time of it even if she did go back to a "normal" life. The only comfort she has had between the games (and even in the games) was in Peeta. The one who loved her so much; knew exactly what the Games do to you during and after. It was a beautiful moment.

I will leave it at that for now... and perhaps in the comments get to the break-out and the "Katniss...there is no District 12." ;)

Again: anything you girls want to bring up, feel free! It doesn't have to be something I've already talked about. I just mention things that strike me. So far my favorite thing is to see what else to girls like or when we have differences of opinion. Lay it on me.

<3

8 comments:

  1. Can I just start by saying, "Thank YOU! for this awesome administrator blogging job you are doing Sarah! AND I am thrilled that you combined our last discussion into one post as I am dyinggg to read the third and final book."

    Ok... that being said... :)

    It's funny that you mentioned the foreshadowing of the watch. The whole time I kept thinking back to that watch and wondering, "what was the significance of him showing that to KAT?" Well played Suzanne Collins. Well played!

    The structure of the area was equally as brilliant as it was insane! I couldn't even begin to imagine that not only am I fighting other people for my life, now I'm fighting the elements, too!? Oh my. Crazed creatures, lightning, harmful fog and the WORST ever... the imitation of loved ones VOICES :( ... like I said, insane.

    I have to confess, the entire time I doubted Johanna. Even when she stabbed Kat, I just knew my intuition was correct... until, that is, I found out that she wasn't trying to KILL her, she was cutting the tracker from her to SAVE her! Woweee, did NOT see that coming.

    Best moment for me throughout our entire reading? The end of this book. When she finally came to and heard one voice.

    "Gale," I whisper.

    "Hey Catnip." He reaches down and pushes a strand of hair out of my eyes.

    ((((((Heart flutters!!!!!!!! <3)))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the Jabberjays were the most cruel thing that they could have done. It is amazing to me how quickly the victors died. There were only what...8 left by the third day?

    Johanna (do you pronounce the "h"?)... as soon as she hissed at Katniss to stay down I knew that she was actually on their side. She could have easily killed her outright. It wasn't until Katniss was being picked up by the hovercraft that I thought "Huh- I bet Johanna cut out the tracking chip."

    Ingenious way of sending the message of when the great escape would be. It is a good thing that they were with people (or had Peeta) who would know which district the bread was from.

    Also: I think I've jumped ship from the District 12 boys. I'm a little bit in love with Finnick. ;) Poor Finnick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do pronounce the "h." But maybe only because Dexter has an aunt (or cousin...I've never met her) called Jo"h"anna.

    Ok, I confess, I had a small crush on Finnick also. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words in your first comment, Mandy. Much appreciated. ;) I am glad that, in the end, the majority of people in the Districts did stick together and mount their own rebellion within the Games. I wonder what it was like to watch. It was very clear that they were sticking together beyond the norm.

    Finnick bringing Peeta back to life with CPR? Mags (mags <3) running off into the poison? Finnick taking a dagger to the thigh? The Victors in general nearly (or outrightly) opposing and talking badly about the Capitol.

    Do you have any ideas what the special bond between Johanna and Finnick might be? Just friends? Just friends who have both survived the terrible games and therefore share a special bond?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok... SC is definitely a genius. I did some research and check out these definitions:

    Rue = to feel sorrow over; repent of; regret bitterly.
    Prim = formally precise or proper, as persons or behavior; stiffly neat.
    Gale = a very strong wind.
    Finnick = extreme refinement (free from impurities).
    Johanna = meaning, rather: God is gracious.
    Chaff = worthless matter; refuse.
    Thread = to make one's way through, pervade.

    I don't have enough time to continue through allllll the characters, but pay attention to their roles in the book in regards to the meaning or symbolism of their names. I can't believe it took me this long to see it, but it's complete foreshadowing the entire time!!

    HOLY CRAP... I was trying to sort out a definition and discovered this website: http://sparkswillfly.org/trilogy-reference/name-meanings/
    It's even better than my translation! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try this one on for size...

    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkltu6WPLq1qjvlr6o1_500.gif

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I suck. I was gone for awhile, and didn't get to leave my comments here: BUT, I've got to say, I think I liked this book even better than the first. The arena was amazing, the alliances were exciting, Peeta is still my pick for Katniss' happily-ever-after, and the resuce at the end left me clawing out of bed to get to the next book!! Haha

    And I'm still absolutely in mourning over Cinna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya know Natalie... I think I agree with you. The introduction and the first third of Hunger Games was intense. Getting to know the world that Katniss lives in. But Catching Fire had all that history behind them already. Everything was more exciting. And we had the anticipation of "Is District 13 alive and struggling to get by?" (turns out D13 kind of stinks)

    Plus we had all those other great characters to get to know!

    ReplyDelete