This is how much I like you girls... I am sitting in bed writing a late night post for the next section of chapters. Not only that, but I am doing it while wearing a pair of vinyl gloves which cover my lotioned hands. It is my attempt to get my hands all nice and moisturized after washing dishes and cleaning countertops tonight. Brad may cook for me, but he just doesn't get how dry the cleanup makes your hands! Anyway...
Part 2 - The Quell
Chapter 10 - at the end of Chapter 9,our Heroine was taking herself on a nice stroll thru the forbidden forest (i mean woods); Katniss meets Twill and Bonnie from District 8 who, it turns out, are not peacekeepers; they ran away during the uprising in D8. They explain their story as well as their plan to get on to D13; Katniss's gives them all her food and almost electrocutes herself on the now Live fence.
Chapter 11 - Kat is able to get over the fence by using a tree, falling, and injuring herself; two Peacekeepers are waiting for her when she gets home in order to let her know that the fence is now live; the whole family sticks together and acts their part in the innocence game; Peeta and Katniss actually spend real time together; Katniss watches a newscast with a piece about D13; the news report was just put on top of the old footage
Chapter 12 - Katniss's prep team arrives for the wedding dress photo shoot; the special the next night about the dresses; the Quarter Quell recap and announcement
"It took less than forty-eight hours to subdue the city. Then, for a week, there was a lockdown. No food, no coal, everyone forbidden to leave their homes." (p145)
this just struck me as showing the military might that the Capitol still has.
"and we think the Capitol leaves them alone because, before the Dark Days, District Thirteen's principal industry was nuclear development" (p 147)
Holy moly, my jaw dropped at that! I would leave them alone too!
Katniss's mother's short story of her friend who went to the 50th year quarter quell really stuck with me. Her mom doesn't show up too much, but we get very interesting insight from her. Until now, we have mostly sympathized with the adults sending their children away. And of course,Katniss volunteering for Prim. But that her friend was chosen... It emphasizes the fact that the Games affect everyone.
"on the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from the existing pool of victors." p172
I don't know about you two, but that seems awfully suspicious to me,I do not believe that someone made up those cards 75 years ago. I have a feeling they were written specifically because what is happening.
I want to talk about what this means and everything else that happended more, but my brain is mush, and the gloves are annoying the heck out of me to type in. Have at it!
As far as the 75th Quarter Quell... I'm assuming the "rules" were manipulated to adjust the rebellion that the Capitol feels Kat created. I think the entire thing was a set up to try and force the Districts in believing that they truly are powerless.
ReplyDeleteI think Bonnie and Twill were the perfect addition to the story. I felt liberated knowing SOMEone had escaped and even happier that they seemed so gracious with the opportunity of meeting Katniss. Again, not sure of the exact quote, but they said something along the lines of: "You don't know? She doesn't know..." In reference to the uprising in District 8. Just a great reminder, once again, of how young and oblivious Kat really is.
PS... I bought pink dishwashing gloves over the summer. They're fashionable enough for me to feel cute wearing them, yet effective enough to protect my hands from drying and cracking due to cleaning. HIGHLY recommend them my dear! ;)
Protective gloves while cleaning the dishes...it makes so much sense! I will have to give that a whirl.
ReplyDeleteIn many ways, I feel bad for Katniss who has become the accidental symbol of these budding rebellions. That is a lot of weight for her to carry. And just being a teen, I think I would take the deaths of these people very hard. In one way, thinking they were rebelling because or for me. Feel the responsibility of any casualties. The thing is...even though she made what might be the first open resistance/opposition to the capitol (her rebellion in the Games), nothing would have happened if the other people in all the Districts weren't ready for it.
Was anyone surprised that Katniss was going back to the arena? Brad said he wasn't at all. And I wasn't... but that is because I accidentally started reading the description of the third book (LAME).
The message sent was definitely that the Districts are at the mercy of the Capitol. "Even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol."
I had a sick thought about this contest for Kat's dress. Can you imagine what their life would have been like if they had survived "as normal"?? The first thing I thought was that the Capitol would have made their children into contests just like the wedding dress. Like "Vote for your favorite name for their first child"....or "vote on the eye color" or some weird thing like that which I am sure the Capitol could control. It would be a total freak show.
Ok, I was SHOCKED that she went back into the arena! I had NO clue that was going to happen, but then again, I purposely refused to read ANYthing that may lead me to know the ending! Haha ;)
ReplyDelete