Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chapters 13-15

Chapter 13 - Fire in the woods; Kat's first sponsor
Chapter 14- Rue makes her first real game appearance, Tracker Jackers and Kat's first offensive move
Chapter 15- Kat wakes up, gets moving, gets clean, and makes an alliance with Rue

Was our trust misplaced in Cinna? Which came first? Did the Gamemakers influence his decision with the fire outfits, or did his fire outfits inspire the gamemakers?

That is just one little snippet that I thought of during chapter 13--I want to give you girls the chance to get the first discussions going on these chapters. :)

I can't wait to participate. My heart was thumping the whole time. I really hope that you bring up something that I may have missed from reading too fast so that I could see what happened. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Deep into the games now, and the intensity is not slowing down ladies!

    I have to admit, I'm a bit confused about Cinna and the fire incident. I'm hoping that he influenced them only by fault and not intentionally.

    Before I go into any more discussions, I have to make mention of my favorite quotes throughout this session:

    "'We could do it you know."
    "What?"
    "Leave the district. Run off. Live in the woods. You and I, we could make it."

    Did I just fall in love with Gale again? ;)

    I wasn't surprised when Peeta saved her. I'm assured that his love is real and that his teaming up with the Careers is complete strategy.

    However, I do feel the pain Katniss must suffer when she states, "Gale and Peeta do not coexist well together in my thoughts."

    "I find that I'm actually anticipating that moment with pleasure." In reference to shooting Cato with the bow and arrow. I'm continually pleased with how tough and fierce Katniss is. Am I the only one that felt a glimpse of delight when Haymitch provided the ointment for her burns? :)

    And can I just say, I'm thrilled that Kat and Rue are forming an alliance, yes, I know there can "only be one winner" but don't you just adore Rue with her intelligence towards plants and those big innocent eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not believe Cinna had anything to do with trying to burn Kat out of that tree. I get the feeling that District 12 isn't supposed to win, and that her popularity and the fact that she's still ALIVE has pissed off the Capitol enough that the Gamemakers are using her popular "girl on fire" reputation against her. (Maybe I'm just a total sucker for Cinna...)

    Thank God for Haymitch and that ointment! I was so relieved that he'd not written her off, he's doing his job, helping her along, and the sponsors must love her as much as we do, to be sending money!! Yay!!

    Those dang Tracker Jackers scared me senseless, I don't like the sound of them at all, but I was over the moon that Rue pointed them out to Katniss. I also loved seeing tiny Rue's skills, reading how she jumps from tree to tree like a tiny Tarzan!! I have a soft spot for Rue, I admit.

    And alliances, I love them! I'll bet that the ability to team up, even if just for a short while, make the Games a bit more bearable for the poor Tributes. Can you imagine being "every man for himself" against 23 people for as long as it takes for everyone to kill each other off??? I'd have gone absolutely bonkers long before anyone had the chance to cut my throat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like we should have seen the wall of fire and fireball assault coming. The author did set us up for it the whole way, ya know? And not one of us said "hm, I wonder if the sick and twisted Gamemakers will actually try to set her on fire?"

    One quote that I really liked was "Somewhere, in a cool and spotless room, a Gamemakers sits at a set of controls, fingers on the triggers that could end my life in a second." That is the whole game, really. Safe people making the game more interested for the other safe people at home. While the death games are 100% real for the tributes. My heart was racing when the Careers really found Katss. I was glad that she was quick on her feet. Literally and figuratively. First to get to the tree, and next to climb up high enough on thinner branches so the Careers couldn't get her. And with the way her hands were burned too! I am a baby when I am burned.

    I could feel her anger and jealousy when she saw the one girl with her bow and arrows. I was so glad when she finally got them back! She took a huge risk with those tracker jackets, and it definitely paid off. Plus it gave her a sense of comradarie with Rue.

    Peers saves Kat once again. Either he is still playing the love angle for the show, or he really genuinely cares about her. Either way, I am pretty sure the remaining careers won't want him around.

    I am so glad Katniss's took Rue on as an ally. They make a good team. Rue brings so much to Kat's game! Both as a partner for her company, her gathering skills, and her extra knowledge and different life experience. I feel like their alliance is different (and stronger) than the careers.

    Now I'm off to the gym... I will read more later and try to post again. Either here or for the next section. :)

    ReplyDelete