Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chapters 4-6

I must say: How kind of the author to write the book in three parts, each containing 9 chapters.

How in the world did you two hold yourselves back at the end of chapter 6 (expecting Nat's confession of: "well... I actually finished the book while I was waiting to discuss through chapter 6"). ;)

Brief outline of what happened:
Chapter 4-train ride and entrance to Capitol
Chapter 5-prep for the opening ceremony and opening ceremony
Chapter 6-after the ceremony and before the games

What really struck me in Chapter 5 is that the Games are really a part of the way of life for these people. It didn't hit me in the anxiety before the reaping, during the reaping when names were called, or afterwards when Katniss was saying her goodbyes. It hit me when she was talking to Cinna.

'"You're new, aren't you? I don't think I've seen you before," I say. Most of the stylists are familiar, constants in the ever-changing pool of tributes. Some have been around my whole life."'

It reminds me of the hosts (or trainers) in reality TV. They stay the same and the contestants change every season. Katniss always has a general idea of what is going to happen at each stage. And that is because she has had to watch these Death Olympics every year. Somehow the fact that it is so commonplace for them, and seemingly so celebrated in other districts, makes it even more horrifying.

We were discussing earlier: why don't they revolt? How disgusting this is! How horrifying that they send their children to their deaths. We never stopped to consider that we were only looking at it from District 12's perspective. From Kat's narrative, most (if not all) of the other Districts see these games as a sense of pride. Strong competitors volunteering for a chance to go. Win eternal glory, as it were. Entire Districts raising their children with the goal of making them strong (mentally and physically) so that they have the fortitude to kill other children. People betting on who will be chosen, who will volunteer, who will win. That is where the real horror comes in. They don't want to rebel and end the games...it's like they actually look forward to it!

Another interesting point: Kat also forgot her own horror once she was getting prepped. She was nervous/excited going into the opening ceremony. Then it seemed like she got caught up in the excitement, the thrill of people calling for her. And let's face it: it's practically hardwired into us to feel great when people are telling us that we look spectacular. She was entranced with the classy elevator, the novelty of the Capitol, the amazing food that was put before her. Another quote that caught my attention "She has reminded me why I'm here. Not to model flashy costumes and eat delicacies. But to die a bloody death while the crowds urge on my killer." (which I think is roughly on page 79??)

That really brings it home. For everyone else it's a big to-do. Other people don't have as much at stake. But Katniss's life is being risked. It's her soul, her memories that are going to be affected by taking the lives of other people.

Nat: I think we all find either humor or disgust in the way that Haymitch drinks and acts. Kat and Peeta certainly want more of him. I never even thought until right now: what if he drinks to cope?

One last word before I'm done: I really enjoy that this is written in the present tense. :) Things are happening now, right now. Right when we're reading.

13 comments:

  1. The whole time Katniss was eating amazing things at the Capitol, ask I could think was,"How can she east at all? She's about to kill or be killed!!" But you're right. As frightening and dangerous as the game is, it's also something familiar to her, from a different perspective. The fact that she's sold extra chances in the reaping for good means she must have at least entertained the thought that she'd one day compete. Have you ever imagined being on American Idol?

    The further into the book we get, the more I'm stunned by the cruelty and power of the Capitol. Avoxes?? How can they get away with cutting peoples tongues out?? It's disgusting and barbaric to us, but to Katniss and the people of Panem, it's just the way it is. Frightening.

    I'm still hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit some points that I was actually thinking about while reading.

    I was utterly stunned that Katniss developed a sense of enthusiasm. I understand that people respond positively to attention, but wow. That boggled my mind as much as it intrigued me. She started to learn (like you said) that the other Districts saw the games in a prideful manner, rather than simply a death match.

    An excerpt that really stuck out for me was on page 65, most of the page really. She is reflecting upon the delicious food they are serving her and glancing back to reality on how long it may take her to concoct a meal this sublime on her own. It saddened me and made me feel very close to her at the same time.

    "What do they do all day, these people in the Capitol, besides decorating their bodies and waiting around for a new shipment of tributes to roll in and die for their entertainment?"

    That was hardcore and true and yet, somehow, even reading that horror, I'm dying to know what happens next. Isn't that relative to what the people of the Districts must also experience...knowing something isn't appropriate and anticipating it anyway?

    Oh and I'm sensing that there will definitely be something going on between Peeta and Kat. So much symbolism leading toward that thus far. I'm going to be heartbroken if they find a connection and then have to fight for their lives.

    (I really like that we are doing this. It encourages my brain to actually consider questions while I'm doing my reading. I haven't really done that before :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Nat, I forgot to mention the Avoxes! That was the other point I had discovered while reading. Could you imagine!? They basically dissect you and force you to never speak again. How dreadful!

    And I also was astounded that Effie states: "How you've both successfully struggled to overcome the barbarism of your district." Because the Hunger Games aren't barbaric at ALL lady!!!!! I think I might have hit her at that point. Crazy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be a lot more jaded than either of you two ladies, and I am glad for it (for your sakes). Clearly I watch and read more horrible things than you do. For a while over the summer I read maybe 3 or 4 books about the Holocaust, watched several movies, watched another movie about the Genocide in Rwanda. I've seen the movie Blood Diamond (with children soldiers in Africa and all).

    The thing that is scariest to me is that things like this have happened in our world's history! Not exactly put together in exactly the way it is in Panem, but it is unbelievable what people do to each other. It is amazing the influence that the powerful people have. (Did I ever mention that when I was in high school, I had been planning on how to take over the world?)

    And on to less depressing things. Mandy: totally agree with you on the Effie quote. And that was after she said that pearls came from pressurized coal. >_< (That's like the time my chemistry teacher told us that you get honey from tapping trees...) I had made a note in that passage that it really highlights the prejudice in this book. She thinks that she is more intelligent, sophisticated, and better than the Dist 12 people. She looks down on them, but she same time she's a complete idiot! She leads children to their deaths like it's just another day at work (and it is for her). The last part of my note was "as usual, the person doing the looking looks like an idiot.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have previously watched a lot of those films, too Sarah, like Hotel Rwanda and others I can't recall the names of. And I always leave feeling terribly depressed. I suppose because this is a book, rather than a news article, I'm intrigued instead of feeling guilty that I complain about pathetic things in my life: "I have nothing to wear" or "Nooo, I don't want Chinese takeout, I want Thai" or any other nonsense we continue to rant about. Too often I find myself wishing there was truly something I could do, but you are perfectly accurate in stating that powerful people really do have the final say. It makes me nauseous. I read an article a few weeks back about Somalian women trying to flee and coming within a practical distance of the border and dying because of pure starvation. Could you imagine putting forth all that effort to simply die from lack of FOOD!?

    Yeah, the pearl reference annoyed me terribly. Personal reasons maybe, with Dexter being a deep sea diver and I having a great fondness to pearls long before I met him... and the irony of us coming together without prior knowledge of these random facts about the other. Or it could just be the fact that I despise ignorant people. Effie = Moron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, that's actually where the author got the idea for the book. She was flipping through tv stations one day. On one station was a show of people struggling to survive, and on another was one of those nonsense game shows. The idea struck her. It got all rolled up and came out as this story.

    You can see that juxctoposition throughout the book. Something pretty flippant, and then something horrifying in the next sentence. That part of her writing I've really been enjoying too.

    I've kind of been getting myself down thinking about all the real bad sh!t in the world, so now I hopes can shake that off and enjoy the adventure/excitement of the book. I don't want to be thinking "people suck, society sucks,the world sucks' the whole time and miss out on the story. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. One other quick note...I love how technologically advanced the Capitol is. I want katniss's sower and the insta-hair dry thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that outrageous!? It is unbelievable how advanced the Capitol is and how District 12 is the polar opposite.

    *I am quite jealous of her shower though. Haha.

    I'm on to reading the next chapters... if you guys haven't started already of course ;) Nat is probably already done! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to have disappeared. As expected, husband and child required my attention (sniffles all around), so I wasn't able to read y'alls excellent comments until now. (I wonder if Panem has cold and flu season, too...)

    I thought a lot, Sarah, about your thought of Haymitch's drinking to cope. He's the mentor to the tributes from district 12, and we know that in all the years of the games, not a one of his tributes has won. That's why he's the only mentor they've got. That would be gut-wrenching. I might have a drink, too.

    And I don't know about you girls, but I've already fallen completely in love with Cinna. I read the opening ceremony part 3 times, it was so vivid in my mind, seeing her in the outfit he created. It really is the first time I've thought her chances were good to win (obviously, this is a trilogy, so we know she must survive somehow, but I'm hoping for a victory of skill, not some Deus Ex machina deal at the end that leaves us all a little disappointed...). I know it's barbaric and cruel, but I can kind of see why so much excitement surrounds the games for the careers who expect to win. Think of the glory!

    I've read my share about the atrocities real life people have inflicted on each other, but there is always a disconnect for me, I can't even imagine that someone would be so cruel on purpose. The matter-of-fact way Katniss describes the way the capitol controls its citizens boggles my mind. The idea of "it is what it is" throws me for a loop. Maybe because, side by side with the cruelty and hatred behind the Holocaust, we know stories like Schindler's List, Anne Frank's family being hidden, people who tried to help. Africa has stories like Hotel Rwanda to remind us that not everyone is hateful and unfeeling toward their fellow man. Even Tiananmen Square had the tank man, who stood in the way of the tanks coming to kill his fellow protesters. The people in Panem seem to be sitting by and letting it happen. Is that needling at you ladies the way it is at me? Am I making any sense, in my sleep-deprived state? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you both know-I am also loving the character of Cinna. Something that had caught my attention at his introduction was that he said he _chose_ to represent District 12. And Katniss also mentioned that he didn't have the typical Capitol accent. It makes me wonder about his backstory, his motivations, and if/how he will be involved in the story later. What other importance will he have in the story.

    How do you all pronounce his name in your head? I say it like "Sinna." When I read his name, I think of my friend's cat Cinny (short for Cinnamon). He's a total Garfield cat. A big, fat, orange tabby. :)

    Nat- I had to look up what "Deus Ex machina" meant. I've never heard that term before. Thanks for educating me. ;) (This is what I LOVE about book club!)

    What I also love about book club: you ladies give me different perspective. I tend to go off on tangents. Sometimes that aren't really related to anything. And even though i occasionally feel like an idiot after I've posted something, I know that you two aren't judging me for it at all. ;)

    Nat- I think you brought a really good perspective about the real-life stuff that I hadn't thought of. Your point that in each occurrence, there were ordinary people rebelling and doing the right thing every day. But here they just carry on to keep the status quo. Interesting.

    (I'm really excited that we're getting to an intense part of the book. I can't wait to discuss the next three chapters.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm desperately curious about Cinna, too! I'm sure he's got a role in whatever comes next. (I pronounce his name the way you do, Sarah) I had been wondering last night (as I cruelly subjected my own child to the horrors of the nose-sucking ball she hates so much. Haha) whether it was ever an option to move districts? If you were particularly talented at something useful to the Capitol (maybe as a stylist??), could you leave your district for the Capitol to work? Could that be where we got Cinna?

    Also, I meant to say this sooner, Sarah: I love that you gave us a little outline of the chapters we're discussing, to help us focus. You're doing a great job on the blog, keeping us focused and talking. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say "sinna" also. I was drawn to believe he may have had some type of relationship with District 12. Whether it be heritage and love affair or something further, I'm unaware, but I'm dying to know his motive.

    I agree with Nat on the basis of the blog set up. Sarah, you have done a phenomenal job! The outline definitely reiterates our reading and defines a clear focus for our discussions. I love it!

    I had also considered what defines who lives where... the curiosity is nearly killing me and I'm hoping the author addresses that rather than leaving it up to my imagination! Haha. But if that is indeed the case, why aren't more folks moving to the Capitol? There has to be some consensus as to who lives there and who doesn't, right?

    I'm finishing up the last chapter now ladies. Had to break because Maya insisted on throwing the biggest FIT and driving me to insanity. Of course, as soon as she finallllllly falls asleep, Italia wakes up. Story of my life <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad that you two are enjoying the blog. :)

    Ooo- love affair?? Maybe he loved and lost someone who lived in District 12. I really hope we get to hear more about his history.

    Nay- you do bring up an interesting point about being able to move between Districts. I had just assumed that it was 'luck of the draw' of where you were born. No real mobility. I think I need to refresh on Katniss's mom. Her marriage to Katniss's dad was a "downgrade" wasn't it? But I don't remember if she moved from one district to another because of it. Maybe we will find out more about that part of living in Panem. If not, i would say we have to assume it's just you're born, live, and die in one District. (though like we've been discussing, the tidbits we have about Cinna seems to put that question in one's mind.)

    JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter) has done several interviews where she talks about the world of Harry. About characters' motivation, about their feelings, lives after the books, other characters who were cut short or cut out completely. The whole world lives in her mind. It is amazing. i want there to be interviews like that with Suzanne Collins. I want to ask her the questions we have and know the answers!

    ReplyDelete