Friday, December 23, 2011

Chapters 4-6

Finally!! This is going to be just a quick post. Kind of open-ended. I may come back and update more later, or write a more in depth comment. Last night I was going to write a post up, but then Brad and I started fighting and it took the wind out of my sails. Boys are dumb. No wonder Katniss doesn't want to get married. ;)

Chapter 4 - Katniss is hit with the reality of having to be married; she also thinks about why Haymitch is still alone (solitary confinement as she calls it); Peeta and Kat makeup (finally!); Peeta's paintings; size and lockdown of District 11; Peetas offer of their earnings and more importantly Kat's speech to the family and District; the Mockingjay whistle, and the final goodbye signal from District 12 that Katniss gave to Rue

Chapter 5 - the crackdown on District 11; Haymitch, Peeta, and Katniss have their discussion in the dome; Peeta is pissed at being left out of the loop; the est of the tour; the engagement (kind of got glazed over); President Snow's appearance at the end of the Chapter, his 'imperceptible shake of his head.'

Chapter 6 - katniss' reaction to his denial that she has done enough; the party; the newest Gamemaker that has the disappearing Mockingjay on his watch.

Was the final goodbye a signal? Something more than just giving her back the sign that she gave rue? Was it a sign of solidarity? Their final goodbye? Do they even known it means a final goodbye, or were they JUST doing the sign of love that they saw Katniss give Rue? Or is their way of saying "we accept what will happen if we do this, knowing it might be taken as a sign of rebellion against the Capitoal"? Too many questions!

Why in the world is Katniss RELIEVED with Snow?? I would be terrified. What else could he expect? What will the outcome be?? I think she is being a little too positive, but I guess that she has to have some relieve sometime. What d you girls think?

I also wanted to talk about the Gamemaker. I don't think that it is an accident that he pulled out his watch and showed Katniss the Mockingjay. And then asked that she tell no one 'about the meeting'... I think that he may secretly support any rebellion that might be stirring. Then again, I always look too deep into things. On the other hand, it makes it more exciting trying to guess what is important, what is foreshadowing, what will come up again later.

and lastly I want to say that I am glad that Peeta and Katniss are sleeping together ate night. I want to talk more about that, but I need to go to work. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I sooo want to comment immediately, but I'm headed to Yoga! I'll be back shortly :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so after the perfect 75 min yin yoga detox and then 3 HOURS in the Santa line, I'm finally home and ready to comment! :)

    I nearly screamed when they publicly executed the man from District 11. I was all dreamy with the Districts supporting each other and bam! the poor guy is taken down. I should have seen that coming, I suppose, but I was empowered by the love they were displaying. Then two more gun shots... I'm wondering who that was...?

    The disappearing Mockingjay was my biggest curiosity throughout this session! I'm certain the author is foreshadowing something major here, I just have NO idea what that is!!!!

    In so many ways I'm also comforted by Peeta protecting/providing for Kat. He was precious for holding her at night and talk to her concerning her nightmares. I loved what he said about "not having nightmares when she's around" (I don't have the exact quote next to me…). Even though I'm an ultimate Gale fan, I'm still happy that Peeta is so kind hearted to the woman he loves rather than being hostile after all they been through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about Peeta, Mandy. They will always have a bond that no one else will understand. It is sweet of him to sleep with her the same way they did in the arena. The way he comforts her after her nightmares. There is just something so comforting in sleeping with someone else in your bed. I can't tell you how many times I've had an awful nightmare and had to wake Brad up so that he could hold me! Like I said, I am a sucker for the unconditional protector. I was so glad when they made up and decided to, in whatever ways they need to, tackle their challenges together.

    I am still sorting out my feelings of their tour. Their stop at District 11 seemed to be Katniss's first wake-up call. it was her first taste of what she had started, without intending to. She still doesn't realize it, though. Just like she thinks that all the Mockingjays are just the latest fashion. I am sure that for some people they are just that. A fashion accessory from the latest Victor. But they are also a sign of rebellion. Which is still what I think the Gamemaker's watch was. And since they are so popular, they make a great symbol. It can be easy to wear them out and about. On the other hand, I get the feeling (from this encounter) that the people who really mean it will be like the Gamemaker. Hiding it. Showing it in secret but not showing it off. If the Capitol takes it as a rebellion sign, certainly the 'smarter' people or people in power wouldn't go about flaunting it.

    Last night I realized that I missed one of the biggest points at the end of the chapter. The uprising in District 8. There have been so many uprisings like that in real life this past year. It takes such courage, such passion, and such strong belief that was is going on is wrong to mount an uprising. Especially when you know that they will be violent backlash. It must be even harder in Panem. With each District as a microcosm that the Capitol can control.

    I keep coming back to the Hunger Games. And the fact that no one is a winner. At least no sane person. In the beginning we were al horrified at these games. Taking adolescents and making them fight to the death. But it hadn't struck me the whole impact on the rest of their lives. It is a total and complete system of control. Maybe not always as much as with Katniss and Peeta, but even look at Haymitch. The Capitol can erase the scars from skin, but they can't take away the nightmares that the survivors have.

    I wonder if we will ever get to hear about Haymitch's time in the arena/ more about his back story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so relevant that you revert back to the Hunger Games. I honestly told Dexter last night that I could have been fine with the first book being the end of the story, not necessarily the way it ended, but the story in general. The author has taken this plot to such a greater depth than I had ever imagined. I had considered (as Kat did) that once she got back to District 12, her life would be easier. She would have been victorious and reap the rewards of surviving. Wrong. She's seemingly even closer to danger than she may have been in the arena.. and at a greater level, because it's no longer just her and Peeta, it's entire families! :(

    I suppose Haymitch's fight will come out once the author reveal's more details about "whatever is starting again..." (I know this is next post, but they are somewhat entwined! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could feel Katniss' panic, picturing the whole rest of her life being orchestrated by the stupid Capitol. Even though I want her to fall in love and mary Peeta, she ought not to be FORCED into it. It should be a happy occasion. ; )

    And I'd be relieved, too! It's better to know that it's time to start fresh and regroup, new plan, than to constantly wonder if you're hitting all the right marks. I'm a little afraid of Snow and his blood breath, but I think Katniss is better off knowing where she stands.

    And when the new Gamemakers watch blinked her a mockingjay, Ooh, I got shivers and called out "He's on our side!!" Haha. Whatever happens with him is going to be important. Definitely a sign to remember for later. Mockingjay watch...

    : )

    ReplyDelete