Monday, December 12, 2011

Chapters 7-9

What a doozy of a section! I honestly think we could have a good hour (at least!) talking about everything that happened. This is just the quick recap, plus a few of the things I noticed in the chapters.

Chapter 7 - All about training before the games.
Breakfast before training, discussing skills and lifting each other up, Peeta says"she has no idea. The effect she can have," training sessions, little Rue, the sessions with the Gamemakers
Chapter 8 - Kat worries about what she did at the private session, scores revealed; flashback to Gale
Chapter 9 - Training for the interview and the interview; Haymitch vs Cinna; Her meltdown after talking with Haymitch; <3 Cinna <3
"But I don't want them to! They're already taking my future! They can't have the things that mattered to me in the past!"(page 117?);

I love the development of Katniss's character. It's something that I normally wouldn't notice in a book. We're only a third of the way into the book, and she is such a strong but vulnerable, complicated young woman. I believe that much of her impulsivity and ferocity is natural to her character. Some of it comes from the way she grew up: always had to be a survivor, always the underdog. I think that some of it comes from the desperate situation of the games. And just a teensy bit comes from those crazy teenage hormones.

She is not really insecure, but like Peeta implies: she really doesn't know her strength. I get the feeling that she just sees everything she does as having to survive. She doesn't see her own talents, strength, determination, and will to survive. Kat is so fiery. I loved what she did to the Gamemakers. My little note right there says "Atta girl!" She has got rebellion written all over her. She wasn't putting on for the judges, faking anything to make herself look better or worse. Katniss just a completely honest reaction. While I was celebrating her 'victory' there, I hadn't even considered the consequences that she thought of later in her room. That she might have put her family in danger, or that she had broken her promise to Prim.

I'm conflicted with Katniss on Peeta. I feel like he might have honestly been trying to be friendly with her the whole time. Honestly friends. I think that he was hurt and could tell that she already had her mind on the game ("Don't. Don't let's pretend when there's no one around."   "All right, Katniss," he says tiredly. After that, we only talk in front of people.) Because of the way it's written though, you are left to wonder just as much as Katniss wonders. After all, it is from her point of view. That seems to be a huge part of Kat and Peeta's story. Can you really trust someone that you've been thrown into a game to kill each other? It leaves me wondering: why not actually team up with the person you've been sent with. Work together. Katniss said (in her flashback to Gale) that hunting was easier once she had someone to watch her back. At least work together until the final two (like Survivor! make an alliance). Two together are stronger than 22 singles. But then you've got a whole game of paranoia ahead of you. Wondering when they might stab you in the back (literally).

Cinna. I just love him. He seems so good and honest. But I'm also thinking: what are his intentions? Does he genuinely care for Katniss and Peeta. Does he have a true affection for them? Or is he just trying to do a good job to get noticed. Or is he not trying to get noticed, but do what he thinks is right or that he just wants to succeed for himself. And here I am analyzing a secondary character. ;)

Last thing I'll put down here now (though, like I said I could talk about this for an hour or more) is this quote from when Katniss is having her session with Haymitch:


"But I don't want them to! They're already taking my future! They can't have the things that mattered to me in the past!"(page 117?)


That quote really struck me. I even have it virtually highlighted.

Your turns. :)

20 comments:

  1. Oh shoot:

    I forgot to add "What the heck are sponsors for again??" Do they have some kind of influence over the game/Gamemakers? Does their monetary support mean an actual advantage in the arena? (Like food dropped down to a specific Tribute)

    And of course: Peeta's love confession!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I was absolutely stunned by Peeta's confession of loving Katniss at his interview. Looking back, obviously, there are hints, but I'm wondering if he's being sincere, or playing some strategy. I can totally see how these games would make a person a paranoid nutball!! I'm paranoid, and I'm not in any danger of being killed on TV! Haha.

    I also thought Katniss' reaction at training was wonderful and deserved, but I was so much more focused on my anger for the trainers who completely ignored her! How can they live with themselves, knowing that her LIFE depends on how these games go, you're more interested in FOOD?!?! Disgusting. I was so mad, I had to take a break!

    And I can also relate to her reaction to Haymitch, trying to train her for her interview. We've all expressed anger and aggravation for these people who pit children against each other to the death, for their own entertainment. Would you honestly be able to get up in front of those people and be charming? I'd just bawl my eyes out on that stage, I'm sure of it.

    What really grabbed me here, though, was Katniss and Peeta being the only team acting as a team. I understand there will only be one winner, but my very first instinct would be to team up with Peeta, and fight TOGETHER until we were the only two left. Then I'd probably propose sitting down in the middle of a field and refusing to fight anymore. (True, the Capitol would probably kill me dead, but that was the very first thought in my head when they said 2 from each district went in. Would you be able to kill a neighbor, a schoolmate, a friend?) I'm going to be devastated when one of them dies. My mind is hollering out that they should be a team, work together, live happily ever after, I'm so emotionally invested in both of them, I'm not looking forward to the end of this book...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember them saying sponsors could send gifts during the games, right? It was something Haymitch would control, though. I think he collects money for them, and then has the people running the game bring them the gifts they've been given?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm blabbermouthing again, but I wonder what would happen if ALL the tributes just sat down and refused to play? I doubt that's possible, but I'd at least try getting a message around, gauge peoples' interest/fear/reactions, to see if there was any way to fight the Capitol, the games, the people in charge, instead of other children. These fighters are CHILDREN, remember.

    I keep being stunned over and over by the age they send in to fight. Teenagers, the most impressionable, insecure, pig-headed age a person can be. When all I really wanted at that age was to fit in, to have friends, to be noticed for who I was, these kids are having to prove their worth by killing their peers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right, Nat, about the gifts from sponsors. I am still wondering how they get the gifts to the Tributes. I guess we will find out.

    As for working together: YES YES YES. My thoughts exactly. Work together. Maybe stage a hungr protest at the end. Have a ncie rebellion against Capitol. That would really be the best. Refuse to pay their game, stick together, and show what united people can do. Heck- hide out, make an appearence from time to time, but focus on not getting killed. Take turns sleeping. Hunt for food together. Make it until the end.

    You are right though- they would probably do something awful to kill them both if they refused to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing about none of them fighting- it just wouldn't work. There will always be someone who wants to go ahead and be the winner. You might be waiting, waiting, waiting for someone to make a move. Then everyone wants to have the first advantage of taking everyone else off guard.

    On the other hand... If someone did try to start killing, I guess the rest could gang up on that person. Maybe hog tie them instead of flat out killing them. BUT that isn't the way the games work. And it doesn't look like that is the way that the plot is panning out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading and commenting, and getting all riled up! Haha.

    Katniss is a hunter, and a good one. Peeta was good in camouflage training, wasn't he? I'd hide and hide and hide as long as I could stay hidden! She'll find food, he'll keep them hidden, get up in a tree and stay there until there's no one left. Let the careers kill off the weaker competition, and then battle it out with each other until the field is clear!

    I'm trying with all my might not to read the summaries of the other books, I don't want to give anything away to myself. I want the end to be surprise.

    I've got to say, though, this is the most invested I've been in a book in a long, long time!! I'm dreading and dying to know the end! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katniss is a force to be reckoned with. I think she doesn't realize her strength due to her environment. She's been forced to be strong for her family, so she's under the impression that it is just a "way of life", rather than the "benefit" is truly is. I was incredibly proud of her for the actions she took amongst the Gamemakers. Being of rebellious attitude myself, I would have demanded the same attention. And I was thrilled when she explained to Effie that she left before being dismissed. That proved her character.

    Secondly, I'm thinking that Cinna is a major character in the book. I'm not sure why I also have such a love affair with him, but I'm hoping his intentions do not turn out to be selfish. I adore the way he tells Katniss to focus on him during the interview to make her comfortable. He seems genuine, I'm just not sure of his motive there. I want more!!

    Sarah, you are right. Someone will always want to be the winner. That's just a human characteristic of competitive nature. However, Nat, I have been pathetically longing for Kat and Peeta to stick together as a team, kill everyone off (even poor Rue - insert major sad face) and refuse to fight each other. Fall in love and live happily ever after.

    Can you tell I've been watching Tangled with my girls? ;) haha.

    I'm glad you guys covered the topic of sponsors... I'd been curious about that also. I'm dying to read the next three chapters. I'm about to put Maya down for her morning nap and get started. It's onto the GAMES!!!!! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and sorry it took me so long to respond. I was dying last night while being drug along shopping and then once we got home and had dinner, my Husband turned the charm on and I couldn't resist. Bahaha. So I got up made coffee and this was the FIRST thing on my mind this morning! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, I had intended to read and respond immediately this morning, I knew you'd have posted, but once Aary and Nick were both quiet, I passed out on the couch! Haha.

    I'm also feeling like Cinna is going to be very important later on. They've developed him too much for the character to disappear now. (Lenny Kravitz is playing him in the movie. Not what I expected at all.) I hope he turns out to be a friend, not a super clever enemy. I think we'd all be crushed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lenny?! Wow... I expected someone VERY different :/ Not sure I'm very pleased with that choice, although I could see the eccentric appeal.

    I'm going to just die if Cinna is doing this out of spite!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had a thought:

    Is working together as a team prohibited by the rules of the game? Maybe that is why they never consider it a real option. Or because no one has ever done it before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I also need to say:

    Katniss can't love Peeta! What about Gale back home??

    And I _love_ Tangled. I've watched it about 5 times since it came out on DVD. Nat- if you've never watched it before, you need to sit down with Aary and Nick and watch it this week!! It's the best movie that Disney has made in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree on Tangled. I was so glad they got back into fairy tales, weren't y'all?

    Katniss said a couple times that there ARE no rules to the Games. I'd team up in a heartbeat. Especially since Peeta feels so sincere. I trust him completely (so I'll feel completely foolish if he turns in her!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, all the building up of Gale, I'm completely confused about Peeta. I really really expected something to happen between Katniss and Gale.

    Do you ladies think Peeta really loves her? Gale our no Gale, I'm actually hoping Peeta's admission of love was real, not some angle just to keep them in the game...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I may be completely devastated if his confession was under false pretenses. I do think Kat is admirable for not getting completely wrapped up in confusion over all that emotion. I'm convinced it would have made my head very cloudy!

    Yes, the Games consist of no rules, so I don't see why they shouldn't pair up. But if there truly are NO rules... why must they kill each other in the end? Hmm...

    I'm so dying for the next post. The beginning of the Games is incredibly intense! I can now see the appeal of the viewers from the Capitol. As intrigued as I am just reading, I could see how entertaining it must be to watch something so involved, so fierce (considering it's not you/your child of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm. There are no rules other than: don't spare with another Tribute before the games? And don't eat each other, apparently. :-X

    I think it's confusing to say a game has no rules. I think even saying "battle to the death" is a rule. Or "each district must give 2 Tributes" is a rule. Maybe my rule-loving side just can wrap my brain around this 'no rules' thing. Thanks for setting me straight, ladies.

    *snap* I know! They aren't rules, but they are guidlines. I'm sure even if they teamed up and survived to the end, the Gamemarkers could do something to ensure there was only one winner. They could cut out all food supplies, starve them to death. People do crazy things for food. One way or another, I bet they would get the finish they are after.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh- and even though we know very little about Gale, I'm totally digging the badass hunter thing. Take me away into the woods anytime. I'll sit in a tree stand with him. LOL I

    I just can't see Kat with Peeta. She's too... firey for him. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was all into Gale, too. They were survivors together and something about that is completely sexy... and in the same aspect, that may be (hopefully) what Peeta and Kat get down to also?! ;)

    And wow, the eating each other?! GAG!!!!! I was appalled while reading that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm getting really really antsy for our next post!! I'm imagining how I'd win here, ladies. Haha!

    I thought Gale had a super sexy, "I can handle it, we'll survive" thing going for him, I agree. I was all ready to see them run away together, or partner up and stick it to the man. But I think Peeta's level-headedness is good for fiery, hot-headed Katniss. I can't wait to see if something develops. The story about the bread really grabbed my heart. I could see them together, he's an angel. (But I'm a sucker for that. Haha)

    ReplyDelete