Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Hunger Games, Chapters 1-3

Book #1: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Ok girls, let's get the party started! Once I started reading, I couldn't stop either. We should probably get to discussing before we are halfway through the book and haven't analyzed anything at all!


Since I've never been in a book club, I don't really even know what we're supposed to do. Let's start off with first impressions. A question with an obvious answer: what do you think so far? Clearly we are all enjoying ourselves as no one can put the book down.


Books like this always fascinate me. The kind of books that focus on a dystopia where the government is in control. Where they use force, fear, and division to control people and keep 'peace.' Other books that come to mind: 1984, Brave New World, The Hermit Thrush Sings, The Handmaid's Tale. One of the reviews I read criticized the major plot point that no one does anything. That no one revolts even though the Hunger Games are so barbaric and in general life is unfair. Honestly, I don't think it's that far fetched. Fear of death, even more severe punishment, all of the control is a powerful motivator to generally stay within the lines. There had been a riot in all of Panem that was put down violently. There is a history there. Maybe in some ways it is difficult to believe that this has been going on for 75 years. In general I do think that that part of the story line (a major part) holds up.


One point that stood out to me: when Katniss is talking about the sometimes-electrified-fence, she says that it is to keep all the wild animals out. My first thought was "yea RIGHT. More like to keep the people in while simultaneously making them too afraid to travel."


And now... to the comments?

16 comments:

  1. As you ladies probably know, my reading style is very different from this. I love biographies and reading about the planet nature, etc, so this is a step out of the box for me. And I looove it. The fact that you used the term "barbaric' Sarah, is beyond appropriate. I mean, the age group is 12-18? That hardly seems fair. Not to mention the fact that it is heterosexual. Yikes.

    In reference to the electric fence, I could help but consider a story in my own life:
    My great-grandfather own cattle and in the middle of his pasture was a pond worth fishing in. My brother and I had fished down there since we could remember, so when they roped the place off with hot wire, we weren't too thrilled. It was designed, clearly, to keep the cattle IN... but it never kept us OUT. We'd always find a place to roll under or hop over. I wondered why the people in this book never attempted to rebel also. Maybe they just considered it a way or life? Or possible the malnutrition/starvation lead to unclear thinking? I am not sure.

    I am so intrigued by this read as it is such a far off (yet, not so far off at times) concept. Being a mother...and sister, I'm convinced that if this were going on in our world today, I would fight to the death to off the government and I'd be certain I had convinced an entire army of people that they were strong enough to join me. But I've always been rebellious like that ;) The way I look at it, the government has created an atmosphere or "fear of death" as Sarah mentions... but they are already facing death with lack of food and proper care. So realistically, what do they have to lose?

    It is so obnoxious how the government encourages people to be "excited" in the event of the Hunger Games. It is incredibly distorted and even reading it, I'm thinking to myself, "How could this be!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I have a little confession to make. I'm so hooked by this book already that I ordered the second one the minute I got up this morning!! Haha, whether we choose it as a book club book or not, I'll definitely be reading it. What do you girls think?

    What really hit me about the story so far was Katniss' knowing she'd not been able to count on her mother during a crisis before, and the fear that she'd not be reliable again. Also, we all have siblings (right?), so you'll understand why my whole body seized up when they called little Prim's name at the reaping! I'm telling you, my heart stopped beating!

    I didn't focus so much on the country's inaction as the family's day to day survival. But I can see how afraid people would be of the Capitol having squashed the districts before, and the Hunger Games leaving them in even more fear of losing their children. Because they have to worry that every word they say will get their families in trouble, the Capitol has an easy job. They've got generations of fear on their side to keep the districts in line. I don't think that's a plot hole at all.

    Like Mandy, I was disgusted that they were supposed to pretend to celebrate the Hunger Games. Can you imagine having to plaster a smile on your face and look excited while your child goes off to be killed?!?! Volunteering to take her sister's place, to participate in this ridiculous "game" was Katniss' own little rebellion, as well as a way to save her sister.

    I'm dying to see what happens next! Anybody else curious to see how Haymitch turns out? Diving drunk off the stage didn't set my hopes high for him. Haha. And is Peeta going to turn into a love interest as well as a competitor? These books tend to go that way nowadays. : ) I love when someone falls in love. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I ordered the trilogy as soon as I researched this book...haha!

    And I'm a sucker for a love story also. I have to admit, that was my first reaction when Katniss mentioned "his" name being called. But truthfully, I had the assumption that Gale would be called. Then the author so cleverly hooked me in when they announced PRIM! I never saw that one coming. Gut-wrenching how quickly Katniss volunteered. That was beautiful.

    Oh my, Haymitch has me laughing so much. Maybe because Dexter and I like to indulge in a decent amount of wine? I'm not sure. I like his obnoxious addition to the story though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might as well all come clean...I have the trilogy now too.

    And I have this awful habit of accidentally flipping through books while I'm reading them and spoiling things for myself. Plus I am getting used to my new-fangled gadget. That all means that I spoiled the shock of Prim getting called. :( (damn!)

    My experiences are definitely different from you two: you both know what it is to have younger siblings and children. I am the youngest; it is my brothers who would have been doing the saving. The only person that I would have that desperate reaction for is Brad. Even at that, a better situation would be like in the movie "Titanic." HELLS NO I am not getting in a life boat without him. Eff that.

    When Katniss volunteered, after she recovered from her shock, it was instantaneous. She never thought about it. As soon as she recovered she shouted that she would volunteer. An instinct to protect her baby sister.

    How have you two been imagining the scenery? Normally in the 'dystopia' societies, I kind of picture them in old times surroundings. Almost like there is a backlash against things that are modern and try to return to something simpler. Then during the reaping when I was picturing the square I thought to myself "No-this wouldn't be cobblestone roads and buildings with all wooden tresses!" My Brain switched everything to be much more modern and it kind of changed the feeling of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been picturing it more modern, too, but very bleak. Everything pretty scant and utilitarian, no flair or decoration, nothing but the basics they would need to get by. And I usually picture these stories looking a bit "dark ages", too, so this is different.

    I could definitely imagine Tara being called up there, and my reaction would have been to save my monkey sister, too. I would have loved to know their MOTHER'S reaction, though. To see your baby called to go off and be killed, and then the relief and horror when someone else takes her place, just to realize it's your OTHER daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you guys seen the movie "The Book of Eli?" That's kind of the modern type, simply scenery that I've been imagining throughout this book.

    No, I am 100% certain that IF I made it through the reaping, I would never have children. I love my girls more than anything, but to risk the chance of seeing one of them having to fight to their death because that's "what the government wants." I couldn't live with myself. The pain would be too great. And the fact that people are implementing this as an event rather than the ridiculous tragedy that it truly is... worst thing a mother could go through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how effective that might be as a protest..?
    If the people in the districts banded together and decided not to reproduce until the Hunger Games were abolished? Where would the greedy capitol get it's coal, food, supplies?

    Totally just blathering here. Haha, it got suck in my head how unfair this is, so of course I'm wondering how to save the world. Total bleeding heart...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes, I'm always trying to find the perfect route to save the world. Dexter laughs at my strong will, but I'm convinced that I'll discover a way sooner than later ;)

    I think it might be a significant protest IF you could find enough people to join forces. That would be the hard part. People will always talk, but its often times, when the true test arises, people like to back out and leave you hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would be a tough one for other reasons, too. We don't know that they have any kind if available birth control.
    You really have to marvel at the Capitol's total control. It sounds like you're basically confined to your district, so theres really no opportunity to start a big enough movement to really give the capitol what-for... They could simply crush the families of anyone who revolts, and that effectively frightens anyone else with ideas of chafe out of acting. It's genius, really. Simple, evil, and effective. I can't wait to see how they're able to navigate that. Isn't the third book supposed to do with a revolution? I'm fascinated and suckedin. This was an excellent choice for our first book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change, not chafe. Sorry. I'm commenting from my phone, which hates me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is an excellent choice! I'd never heard of it, as I seem to always be out of the loop on everything these days, but when Sarah mentioned it, I thought it perfect.

    Have you read any further? Confession... I've read through chapter 6 now. Haha. I'm stopping! That's was my reading for today. I'm going back to Steve Jobs now! ;)

    But I am truly fascinated at the Capitol in its entirety. Not simply the immense hold the have on the districts, but how contradictory the people there are as compared to the people of District 12.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read through Chapter 6, also. Haha. Stopping, stopping, I promise! Forgive us, Sarah! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly- I would probably be halfway done by now if I wasn't spending all my time futzing around with this dang Kindle. UGH- apparently I'm already a technological old person. ha ha!

    I already want to start talking about chapters 3-6.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah, are you through chapter 6 also?! Because if soooo... let's chat about it and I have absolutely NO problem reading more tonight, just saying ;) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yea- you girls wish!

    I finally got the drama with the Kindle figure out (UGH) so I can stop being distracted by that. I need to get the dishwasher ready to run, put my clothes away, and then I should be OK to finish reading up through chapter six; maybe I can even fit in a blog post. I won't be able to be too active tonight in commenting, so I'll probably just read what you two have said and post later.

    Brad and I have a dinner date at the Melting Pot tonight, so I will be busy from about 6:30-10! :-D Dang it's a good thing that I'm off tomorrow. The weekend needs to be longer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I will certainly refrain and allow you to enjoy your Husband. It's your weekend. Enjoy it beautiful!

    And I don't know why I'm even putting off housework. Husband is on his flight to Dallas as we speak. Then to VA. So I say that "I'll have time to read" but let's be honest... tonight, reading will be the last thing on my mind. I haven't seen my man in 11 days! :D

    ReplyDelete